July 2020, I received a “No” that would be life changing. It came from a literary agent who didn’t believe in my message. No shade to her. It just wasn’t her jam…but it was definitely mine.
The original concept had already come extremely close to a deal with a major publishing house, so I knew the book was supposed to be published. It was just a matter of time. I could have taken that no and remained inside the “machine,” sharing with other agents, but instead, I asked, “what’s the opportunity in it?”
What a difference a year makes. On this date, Aug 10, 2020, I released my first commercially-available book in online bookstores worldwide in the midst of a pandemic. No book tour, just The Culture Soup Podcast® and live, virtual events. I included myself on behalf of women of color everywhere who sorely need this message. No Thanks: 7 Ways to Say I’ll Just Include Myself hit a few best seller categories on Amazon.
The rest is history.
This publishing journey has been incredible. @nosiloscommunicationn has its own imprint. And today, we announced pre-order for my daughter’s first children’s book on Amazon.
ICYMI, here are some milestones since the release of No Thanks:
- No Thanks Paperback and Kindle and ebook Aug 2020
- No Thanks branded merch Sept 2020
- No Thanks Hardcover Nov 2020
- No Thanks Audiobook Mar 2021
- No Thanks (The Remix) Hardcover May 2021
- No Thanks (The Remix) Kindle and Online Course Jun 2021
- No Thanks for Girls: 7 Ways to Say I’m Beautiful, Strong & Enough Aug 2021 (Joni A. Smith)
- No Thanks for Girls, Audiobook Fall 2021
- Yes Please: 7 Ways to Say I’m Entitled to the C-Suite, Pre-order Nov 2021
- Slay Everyday: 52 Weeks to Rockstar Leadership, The Journal Jan 2022.
I’m not sharing this to brag, but for inspiration: When you are planted squarely in your purpose, and God gives it a nod, there’s not one thing or any person that can stop it. Not even a pandemic.
What are you waiting for?
Know YOUR jam.
Do you. 🙂
P.S. Go get Joni’s book!!